Monday, June 11, 2012

Jake's First ER Trip

Hey Jake,
Oh buddy...where do I begin?
Yesterday, Sunday June 10th at approximately 9:20...Jack just woke up from his nap, I was giving him his medicine and you were playing in our room. You were pushing some toys around in a laundry basket. You got going a little fast and the basket slipped forward, you tripped and wham! I felt the bed shake. You gasped for air and started crying, then saying, "oww, oww, Mommy, oww". I rushed over to you, turned you over and saw it. A half inch dent/gash above your right eyebrow. It was bleeding, faces bleed pretty good, but it was bleeding pretty good. I grabbed you up and ran to the kitchen...I couldn't figure out why I ran there...towels, ice oh yeah, good place to go. On our way to the kitchen I hollered down to anyone that was down stairs that I needed some one up stairs...right now! I got you to the kitchen, grabbed a towel and started applying pressure. I'm glad all of this comes as second nature...I'm glad I'm a person of action and not one to be paralyzed by fear. So in ran Grandma, she grabbed some ice, we pressed it to your head. I pulled away the towel to see what we were dealing with. Not a long cut but is was at about 1/4 of and inch deep. We needed to go to the ER. It needed help closing up. So grandma ran downstairs to get dressed, I ran you down stairs to lay down and rest. The bleeding was mostly stopped at this point. Uncle Steve watched you and I ran to get dressed too. Grandpa was holding Jack, gave him the rest of his medicine and we were out the door. As we were leaving you asked for Teddy, Grandpa ran up stairs to get it for you and we were off.
We got to the ER and I checked you in and you sat with Grandma in the waiting room. We had to bring Jack with us because as all this happened he was supposed to eat. Luckily he was still happy when we got there.
We got called back quickly so I couldn't feed Jack. Grandma stayed with him in the waiting area. You got weighed and had your temperature checked. You asked for a sticker and the nurse gave one to teddy. Then you asked for another sticker. The nurse told you, you could earn a sticker by keeping the blood oxygenator thing on your finger. You did it, reluctantly, then promptly asked for your sticker. We got put in a room, probably because they knew you would cry, and then the nurse brought you a coloring page and crayons. We colored and watched Chuggington on your iPod. Then a nurse came in and asked us some questions. She asked you what happened and you said, "I was running and tripped and hit my head on the corner of Mommy and Daddy's bed", I was so impressed with your sentence...so was she when she found out you were 2 1/2! She cleaned up your cut/dent and decided that she could glue it. I explained exactly what was going to happen, you are the kind of kid that needs to know, to prepare. We held you down, you cried and the nurse glued your cut shut. Then we were done. You kept saying, "I want to go home now" while were waiting for paper work. While we waited you started pretending the bed was a pirate ship..,you thought the side bars made it look like a ship...anything to make the ER fun! Then we left at around 10:30. Jack was an hour overdue for a feed and was starting to get fussy but was great the whole time!
Overall it was a smooth ER trip. It wasn't fun at all though. I had an adrenalin head ache and stomach ache. But I didn't cry...amazing...I always cry! Today I am trying to not be super paranoid with you. Whenever you do
Something a little daring I get nervous. But you are fine, it's just mommy who is scared for life. You know that you have an owie and that you aren't to touch it. You have enjoyed telling people about your 'emergency trip' and sitting in an 'emergency bed'.
Today you bumped your head at lunch and you said, "I need to go to the doctors now, I have an emergency." I explained to you that you were fine and Dr. Mommy could help you with a kiss. That satisfied you.
You were so good Jake, so brave. Now let's not have any more emergencies!!

Love,
Mommy/ prepared for anything...now!

No comments:

Post a Comment