Thursday, May 27, 2010

Sleepy time

This week we have discovered that you have a temper. You were mad one day that you had to take a nap, you were so tired and just needed to sleep but you got mad and decided to let us know that you were very unhappy with us. You screamed, not just any scream but a blood curdling scream, then you lifted your legs up and slammed them down in the crib repeatedly. I cried, felt terrible and then had to walk away. Daddy came in and calmed you down a little but you had to do it yourself. This has been the hardest thing for me, teaching you to be independent. Yes I know you are only 5 months old but I can't always help you fall asleep you have to learn and I can't always help you do things you have to learn to crawl. I would love to do everything for you but then when you are four and still not walking or falling asleep with out me patting your chest until sleep over comes you we would have an issue. It's plain to me that you have a strong will, welcome to the club, but being able to put yourself to sleep is a precious gift that we will both enjoy.
I know that not everyone lets their babies cry and that every technique is controversial but this is what we chose to do. I tried not letting you cry but then you needed me to sleep and I didn't feel that that was healthy. Now after breaking you of that little habit you go down pretty easy, only minor whimpering as sleep closes your heavy eyelids.
I love you. Daddy loves you. We do, and will do, everything out of love for you. "no selfish ambition or vain conceit" (Phil.2:3) is always our goal and my promise to you, my son.
Love,
Mommy/attempting selflessness

No comments:

Post a Comment