Friday, February 10, 2012

Jakob's 26 Month Update!


Hey Jake, 
I know that 26 months isn't some huge milestone. But you continue to change on a daily basis. This stage in life is so fun...sometimes crazy frustrating but so fun.


My current favorite quotes of yours:
"Hey Lovey"...this just started today, I said this to you and now you call me lovey too!
"What's making that sound?" whenever you hear a noise
"Oh, I don't know!" you shrug your shoulders when you say this
"Hmmm" with your finger on your lips...thinking
"Why not?" you said this to me after I told you not to do something. Oh NO!!
"follow me!" your no dummy, people listen to you and follow you!
"I love you too!" you don't really say i love you, unprompted but you definitely return an, I love you!
"hold me"this used to be "up" but this tugs at our hearts a little more and I think you know it!
"cuddle me Mama." You don't call me Mama very often but when you say this you do...melt my heart!
"brush all that dinner off" you say this when we are brushing your teeth
"I have poo poo in my bum" You say this when you need to go #2...a little gross but gets the point across
"I want my Daddy back" you tell me this everyday your Daddy is at work
"that's my favorite" you say this about anything that in that very moment might be your favorite


You have started having a lisp with only a few of your TH sounds. It's something I'm keeping an eye on, correcting as needed. I think it's just another step in your speech journey, the sounds are already changing into more proper tones...it's just hard to make that 'TH' sound. 

You can count to 5 all by yourself!
You don't enjoy puzzles...the ones where you have to put the piece in the right spot just so, you get frustrated. 
But you love to count! Everything... cars, blocks, trees, rocks, spots on the carpet.


You also know your colors very well. And thanks to a little show called 'Bubble Guppies' you are learning how to mix colors. You know all the standard colors, and even teal, gray, brown, black and white. Way to go! Your favorite color changes but you really like green right now. You also love pink and purple...too funny!

You know the names of more cars than I do. I love to hear you say Lamborghini and Aston Martin!

You are very curious about letters and we are starting to learn them and what sounds they make. You know the ABC song rhythm and tune but only know the letters A-G and L, M, N, O, P of course!

Potty training is not progressing...really...you are starting to get it, but being 9 months pregnant and soon to have an infant I don't want to keep you from succeeding. So, soon we will do it, for good. Get rid of those diapers, let you have accidents and learn to go in the potty. Right now you use going to the potty as a stalling technique for nap and bed times. Oh buddy, you are too smart! You knew I wanted you to go potty, so you would come out of your room say you needed to go then proceed to take 15 to 20 minuets to even attempt going. You would sing songs and read books. So, I had to change up my strategy. Now, we try before nap time and if you do have to go during nap there is no singing or reading. Just potty. It has helped. We'll see. 

You love when your Daddy comes home from work. You love getting to see him in the mornings and saying goodbye. During the day you will ask me, "Where Daddy at?" And I'll tell you at work and your usual reply is..."Oh, I want my Daddy come home!" It's so sweet. You have 'punished' your Daddy a few times after he has been gone all day. As he's walking up the stairs you get excited and as soon as you see him you run away and don't want to see him.


You have started to experience more fear. You wait at the top of the stairs because you are afraid of falling. You are petrified of sitting on your daddy's shoulders for some reason. He has never dropped you, nor would he ever but for some reason the sensation of falling backward is too great. You clawed up his face a few weeks ago because you were so sure you were falling. Poor Daddy, it looked like a cat attacked his face. I know you will get over it, it's just a development thing. I'm glad that you are starting to fear falling. For a while I had to watch you like crazy because you would just dive off of things.

You are a good boy... a really good boy. Only a few fits here and there. We do time out's with a calm down glitter jar. They work really well for you. You don't even get one time out per day, you are really good. You are a very smart boy and we talk things out. I explain to you what you did that was wrong, you say sorry and we go on our way. When we tell you to do something we have you say, "ok Mommy" or "ok Daddy", we feel that having you acknowledge what we said means no misunderstanding. So, when you do what we just told you not to, you knew you weren't supposed to do it. Laying out clear rules and boundaries has helped cut down in fit throwing. You know what is expected of you! This technique might work for your brother, but we might have to change up or strategy...we'll see how it goes.

You love to run around. You race around your room, the kitchen island anywhere there is room, you run! You say "1, 2, 3, Go, Go, Go!!!" or "on your mark...GO!!" it's really cute to watch


You love to sing. We sing songs at nap time...I try to pick calming ones but you always want wheels on the bus or head, shoulders, knees and toes. You make up your own songs about what's happening around you. You sing about who you are with and what you are doing, it's the cutest thing I have ever heard!


You still love to play with cars, you also love to play with your train set and kitchen. I love that you can get to all your toys so, if you feel like playing with a certain thing you can get to it...and you know right where to put it back (you do a great job at helping to put your toys away). You love to play with your instruments and read books too!

You are going to be a great big brother...we bought you this baby leopard that makes sounds and you can feed it. We thought it would be good for you to do while Mommy feeds the baby. You love this little leopard!! You named him Jeffery and you carry him around just like a little baby. He makes these whiny cat sounds and you say, "aww Jeffery, it's ok, I hold you!". It really is the cutest thing. You are going to be great with your new brother. I'm sure at times there will be flares of jealousy but I will do my best to spend time with just you and time with both of you. You are so loving and caring and already expressing interest in pushing him in his swing...that sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Here Jack, let me swing you!! HAHA!! I can't wait for the moment you will get to meet him. For the moment when my whole family of four will be together for the first time...Oh my heart is so full just thinking of it...and my eyes are teary...of course!

You are such a joy my boy... you are growing up to be such a nice boy. I am truly blessed to be your Mommy. Your Daddy and I are just so proud of you!! Happy 26 months Buddy!!

Love, Mommy/ I love my cuddle buddy!


No comments:

Post a Comment